Monday, September 20, 2010

True life: Today I cut into an omlette and it turned out to be stuffed with rice

The internet! In my apartment! Finally!  My stalkees have been thoroughly neglected during the last week and a half.

I'm picking up wireless from the neighbors, I think.. which is fine with me.  So much for reading all those books I brought (why read when I can mindlessly catch up on true blood, right?).

So I moved into my apartment in Eunpyeong a few days ago... its a cute little studio with a washing machine placed exactly where you would think a stove would go.  It freaks me out every time I look at it.  Anyway, the area's adorable.  It's quieter than the crazy parts of Seoul and has a neighborhood feel.  I went to emart with my coworkers and we saw a bunch of our students.  They bowed.  It was awesome.  But it also means that we need to be on our best behavior when we go to e-mart- which, by the way, is the biggest store I have ever seen in my entire life.  It took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to penetrate the building.  But once I did, they had everything I've ever needed/ wanted and more.. including bed sheets!  Which, for everyone that has ever talked to me, would know that they were something I've been stressed about getting since before I even left.

I can't figure out how to rotate this picture.. but.. its My studio apartment.. unmade bed, obviously

view from my window


Another thing is that about 5 minutes away there is an awesome creek with a path where tons of people walk/run/ ride their bikes and there's all these cool statues and places to sit and read.  I give it a thumbs up.. I went running there today and could see the mountains from certain points, which made it even prettier.  There are a lot of little parks around here. It's nice.  A few of them have neon fountains that double as light shows.  I'm already obsessed.






they have exercise equipment along the path


Here is my co-worker Andrew in front of one of our many neon statues. At this moment, it was red.  In one second, it will turn blue!


I observed a class last week and I think this job will be fun.  The kids are super cute.  I would love to tell you what age they are, but I'm not even sure.  They're definitely elementary aged, but  Korean age is different than American age.  The formula for it is: (The current year- the year you were born) +1.  So you're always a year or two older in Korea than you are in the U.S. So here, I'm 23. Eek!

On friday night, my friend MJ came in from the DMZ.  We had a really fun Korean BBQ dinner and the waiter was really nice and gave us free pepsis.  Then we went out in Hongdae and met up with some of my friends from training.  Hongdae is IN-SANE.  It's a huge area near a university where there are just tons of bars and clubs and young people hanging out.. a lot of foreigners but mostly Koreans.  We did a LOT of dancing and had a great time.  I keep hearing about how Soju (korean alcohol) gives you terrible hangovers.  Unfortunately, I learned that this is NOT a myth.  I woke up the next day hung over like a freshman in college.  MJ and I went out and tried our hardest to choke down some mondu (dumplings that are usually awesome) but I couldnt bare it.. I went home and spent the rest of the night in bed.  Literally.  After MJ left at 3 or 4, I slept until the next morning. Ooops.

Well.. anyway, I have some True Blood to watch.  Everyone: COME VISIT !! Or at least add me on skype. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment