Thursday, September 23, 2010

You are lucky to be reading my blog because I'm a celebrity

I have a few things to share.  One: there is banana milk here.  When you put it in pancake mix, you have banana pancakes.  When you put it in your coffee, you have banana coffee.    When you drink it on it's own, it has all the nutritious benefits of milk, but it tastes like bananas. It is fantastic.

Also, whoever said "oh, yeah, everyone in seoul speaks english" was lying.  I never have any idea what's going on.  Ever.  It's terrible, because I can't eavesdrop on ANYONE.  The good news is, I learned how to read korean, kind of.  It will be great motivation to really learn it.  And when I go places, people give me free stuff cus they feel bad for me.  Like, I go to "Buy the Way" (another chain like 7-11 but with a REALLY clever name) with the intention of buying batteries and they give me free powerade- which, by the way, comes in a can.  Or I was at my favorite dumpling place and they brought me out free seaweed (salad?) that literally tasted like you were eating seaweed off the beach.  I think I liked it but I'm not sure.

Anyway, yesterday was a pretty shitty day, weather-wise, so I curled up in bed and watched tv via the internet.  But then I was SO bored and lonely.. and starting to get homesick.  My co-worker was nice enough to invite me to his friend's house for dinner.  We went and had an amazing spaghetti dinner.  Plus, this girl figured out how to make cakes in her rice cooker!! I'm seriously amazed.  She bakes all this awesome stuff... in a rice cooker!  I think it deserves some sort of award.

Then today, my friend courtney and I did some touristy stuff.  We went to an important palace that was SO crowded with people all up in our grills that you couldn't even see anything. 

Here is one of the palace walls.. check out how many people there are.

Here I am at the palace.  My caption for this picture.. "Hi Mom!"


Once we admitted to ourselves that the palace was crowded and sucked, we left and went to Namsang tower.... it's really high up on a hill and you can see the whole city from it.  It's awesome.  We hiked up to the top and complained almost the whole time about how much our feet hurt.. Until we saw Korean girls hiking up it wearing heels!! How do they do it??  The tower was pretty awesome and the view was spectacular.  It forces you to realize how HUGE Seoul is.  

Namsang tower from down below

View from the top

They call these "Locks of Love-" lovers promise to never part. Awww... (puke)

Courtney and I enjoyed a much needed cocktail after our intense hike to the top


After we left the tower we had dinner and did some shopping at the night market.  I couldn't help comparing it to the markets in Thailand.  The bad part about shopping in south korea is that stuff is not as cheap as it is in Bangkok.. but the good news is that it probably wasn't stolen.  

Also, you might be asking.. does this girl have a job?  To you answer your question.. its STILL the holiday.  We had the entire week off.  But tomorrow, we have a teachers workshop so I will see the other teachers mock teach and we will probably do some other stuff, but I'm not really sure what.  Speaking of some other stuff, I really need to do laundry, take out the garbage and watch the daily show.  

Oh, and I lied about being a celebrity, in case you were wondering.  I am sadly still not dating a Korean pop singer, but I'm working on it.

Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. MISS YOU NINS! keep on posting please. It really brightens up my work day.
    -koonin

    ReplyDelete