Friday, October 15, 2010

For Your Confusion

TGIF, once again.  I would be much more content if: a) I were out doing something fun instead of writing this blog, and b) my sheets were dry.  I washed them this morning and they're still draped over the drying rack, as damp as the day they came out of the machine.  Granted, that day was today, but it was HOURS ago so I really wish they would be dry already.  What this does mean though, is that I washed my sheets.  High five, Mom!

Today, for the first time in my life, I MADE A BOY CRY.  Granted, this boy was about 15 years younger than me, but still.  Yes, I made one of my students burst out into tears and sob. 

Additionally, thank god physical abuse is A-OK here.  I make it sound like I'm whipping them- I'm not.  In the states, if you even pat a student on the shoulder, you risk being accused of sexual harassment.  But as I get more comfortable teaching here, I also get more comfortable with pushing them away from my desk when they're being nosy or  giving them little smacks on the head when they're trying to fool around.   Apparently they still use "love sticks" in public school, so I'm tame in comparison.  Anyway,  today I grabbed a student by the arms and dragged him across the floor.  Literally mopped the floor with his body.  He was playing with some other kid while another group was performing and they WOULDNT STOP.  I probably shouldn't have done that, considering my classroom is equipped with CCTV.. which is regularly watched by the owner of the school. Ooops. 

Also, for anyone who knows me, my singing voice isn't that good.  To be more accurate, I'm completely tone deaf.  During my evaluation today, my head instructor told me to be more energetic during the kindergarten class.... (energy.. woof).  Before today, I would just stand there while they listened to the songs about goats and yams and a big man named dan who opens a map on his lap.  Today, I decided to spice it up sing and dance during the song.  Not just a little bounce up and down... a full blown, arms swinging, legs kicking dance with the song being sung at the top of my lungs.  My class HELD THEIR EARS and said "teeeacherrrr Nooooo Stooooop." 

Also, I hate after a long day of classes when the kids' Konglish voices get stuck in my head!! All I can hear echoing is "Teacha, finish-EE.." and "Teeeeacherrr-uhhh."  It drives me crazy!! It's like they use their asian accents to mock me.  I'm not saying that to be mean... I'm positive that they all know how to speak correctly, because they do it when they need to (like.. when they're being graded on their speaking).  But other times, they purposely do this Konglish thing because they think its funny!  And maybe it is a little bit.. but boy, does it get stuck in your head.

Also, all the teachers were mixed up about what we needed to collect and what we didn't... so our Korean branch manager sent out a message titled, "For Your Confusion." 

Today I opened a bank account (I think I did.. but none of it was English so I could have very well just donated my money to the bank).  On my way home, I walked past the hospital and there was a group of men standing out there smoking, in their hospital gowns and with their IV poles still drippin'.  I wish I had my camera.

Tomorrow I'm off to a jazz festival at Gulla Gulla island.  (it's actually zara zara island, but whatever).

Ta- Ta!

2 comments:

  1. come and let's play together! Gulla Gulla iiiiiisland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you washed your sheets! Now..inquire the cost of a laundry service. It may be well worth it.

    VERY funny about the singing. Somethings have no language barrier. Have the kids take turns being "song leader." Duh. They'll love it and you'll be spared future humilliation.

    Your BLOG is GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete